Sunday, August 14, 2011

Six Flags White Water Trip Report

On Friday, August 12, I was able to spend some time at Six Flags White Water before I had to leave the Atlanta area for good. Due to a bad choice in what time I wanted to go there and traffic on the way to the water park, my day was shortened to exactly 1 hour. Within that hour I hit the water slides I wasn't able to hit on my last visit last year.

This has to be the most intense water slide at White Water. Dragon's Tail starts with a small dip followed by an easy cruise towards the next dip. Coming off the bigger dip, you hit an even bigger dip that forces you off the chute for a brief moment. Following that is a bigger, but less steep dip that forces you completely off of the slide for a brief moment. After landing back on the surface, you hit the pool pretty hard.

After that, I made my way to Black River Falls. This was the longest I waited that day. After waiting 30 minutes for an inner-tube, I head to the top to wait another 20 to get on the slide. It takes quite a while for the light to turn green and let the next slider down the chute. After the light does turn green and you start down the slide, you immediately enter a tunnel and hit a left turn helix. The water slide consists of multiple left and right turns in a pitch black tunnel filled with air holes punched out of the top of the slide. The slide also consists of jagged trims to slow down your inner tube along the course, and they can hurt if you do not lift your butt while riding! Soon the slide ends with a drop finale into the pool, where you disembark your tube and hand it to the awaiting rider.


Next in line was the Bermuda Triangle and Caribbean Plunge (which also meant I skipped Gulf Screamer, this was because Bermuda Triangle had a much shorter wait. Well get to Gulf Screamer soon.). Bermuda Triangle was practically a walk-on once you retrieved your double inner-tube. After climbing the stairs, getting on your tube and pushing off, you move slowly around one turn, take a dip and then complete a helix in the opposite direction. Along the course of this slide are a few trims as well to slow down your inner tube. Soon you go down another small dip and enter a tunnel where you make another complete helix in the opposite direction. Eventually you will exit the tunnel, go down a bigger dip and splash in the pool. Caribbean Plunge (Not Pictured) was a little more intense than Bermuda Triangle because of it's very steep double-down drops. Both slides okay in my opinion, but none of the inner tube slides I rode this day were as good as Gulf Scream.

Gulf Scream was another inner tube water slide with a couple dips and many turns. What makes this slide stand out? It has wilder turns, no trims, and it ends shooting you outwards 3 feet above the pool! This slide has one of the most spectacular finales of any water slide I've seen. Being that you just came out of a turn and are still swinging left and right, you can hit the pool sideways causing you to fall out of your inner tube!

That was all for this day. The last slide I was able to hit before they closed the water slides and the entire water park was Dragon's Tail for a second run. It's now my favorite water slide in the water park!

As for the Flash Pass system? I think it would really sell at a water park like this. Lines usually get pretty long during peak seasons and a way to skip the lines would totally catch my eye. Today, though, was a very slow day. The longest I waited felt about 30-40 minutes (Black River Falls), at least 20 of those minutes were waiting for an inner tube. The Fastpass system for inner tube slides is that you get to go through a separate and obviously shorter line to get an inner tube, but then you will have to wait to get on the actual slide. For body slides like Dragon's Tail, the normal line was big enough to have a rope split it into two; thus allowing Fastpass-ers to virtually skip the line.
I only saw one person use the fast pass system that day and it was for getting on Dragon's Tail. I didn't mind the Fastpass system that day since there was a smaller crowd, but on a busy day where lines back up all the way to the entrance, I would feel pressured to pay extra to use the system. I'm not saying that I dislike the Fastpass system or how Six Flags uses them, I think they are very useful when you don't want to wait in long lines. I will try the system one day just to see how much of a difference it can make on a busy day.

Updated Ratings:

Water Slide Ratings (N/A = Not Available)(* = Updated/Changed)
100-Meter Splash: 6/10
Bahama Bob Slide: N/A
*Bermuda Triangle (2): 7/10
*Black River Falls (2): 5/10
Bonzai (2): 6/10
*Caribbean Plunge: 6/10
Cliffhanger: 9/10
*Dragon's Tail: 8/10
*Gulf Coast Screamer (2): 8/10
Lizard's Tail: N/A
Mutiny Chute: N/A
Rapids (2): 8/10
Run-A-Way River: N/A
Tree-Slide Body Flume (3): 6/10
Tidal Wave (2): 6/10
Tornado: N/A


Other Rides/Attractions
Atlanta Ocean Wave Pool: 7/10
Buccaneer Bay: N/A
Little Hooch River: 6/10
Tree House Island: N/A

*Overall Water Park Rating: 9/10

Click here to view more photos of Six Flags White Water

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comment about this post below!